EITHERTo your mark, set, cross! Everyone seems to be taking a look ahead to this 12 months’s Punahou Carnival, which is again in complete swing for the primary time for the reason that pandemic. Once a year, the scholars of the junior elegance vote on a brand new matter – this 12 months it is “Pun Prix ’23: Pedal to the Steel”. So be expecting all of the grand prix racing topics and naturally everybody’s favourite malassadas.
What’s the Punahou Carnival?
This annual carnival is a well-liked Punahou faculty custom that has been held since 1932. What began as a fundraiser for the college yearbook was a two-day carnival that raises cash for the monetary assist program. from Punahou. Greater than 4,500 volunteers (scholars, folks, alumni volunteers) and team of workers installed numerous hours of laborious paintings and making plans to place in combination the development. With 60 other distributors providing malassadas, mango chutney, lei po’o, potted crops and a lot more, folks from everywhere the island flock to the carnival annually for circle of relatives amusing.
The place and when
The Punahou Carnival will happen on Friday, February 3 and Saturday, February 4, 2023, from 11 am to 11 pm, on the Punahou Decrease Campus in Manoa, at 1601 Punahou St. Please be aware that the principle front It’s on the nook of Punahou Side road and Wilder Road.
The place to park at this 12 months’s Carnival
Parking may be very restricted on the faculty so believe those group parking areas – many organizations are partnering with Punahou College only for the carnival and parking charges cross against their very own particular person fundraiser.
- Central Union Church: open each days, from 10 am to ten pm; $10, with out out and in privileges
- Kapi’olani Scientific Middle for Ladies and Youngsters: open from 3 pm on Fridays, all day on Saturdays; $3 for the primary two hours, $5 for 2 to 4 hours, $9 for 4 to 8 hours, $25 for 8 to 24 hours
- Honolulu Lutheran Church: open each days, 10:45 am to 11:15 pm; $15, with out out and in privileges
- Maryknoll Prime College: open each days from 10 am to 11:30 pm; $30 for all day parking, or $10 for 4 hours, each and every further hour $10, no in/out privileges, money handiest
- Maryknoll Fundamental College: Open Friday, midday to 11 pm and Saturday, 7 am to 11 pm; $15 for 4 hours; $15 for as much as 4 hours, $50 for all the day; the doorway might be from Alexander Side road; no out and in privileges
- The Parish of San Clemente, open on Fridays from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.; $18 all day, no out and in privileges; Parking passes with in/out privileges to be had for $40 for in the future, $70 for 2 days
- Shriner Health facility for Youngsters: open each days; early get entry to tickets, 6 am to 11:30 pm; reserved with out and in privileges, $45; reserved sales space with out and in privileges, 4-11:30 pm, $30; unmarried admission, with out reservation, from 4 to 11:30 pm, $15; advance acquire of tickets for fri.right hereor Saturday right here.
If parking stresses you out, believe taking TheBus routes 4, 5 or 18. Or have a chum drop you off and pick out you up or go for a transportation carrier like Uber or Lyft.
This 12 months, the carnival won’t settle for money for vouchers. Personnel will settle for all main bank cards, Apple Pay, and Google Pay. Please be aware that debit playing cards would require a PIN. As soon as you will have bought your vouchers, you’ll use them for video games, meals and amusing rides at EK Fernandez. Please be aware that the EK Fernandez FunPass might not be approved this 12 months; all attendees should use the Punahou Carnival price tag to experience. Admission is unfastened.
rides this 12 months
Woohoo, the EK Fernandez points of interest are again! Then again, this 12 months they’re handiest restricted to kiddie rides, just like the Speedway, Magic Maze, Balloon Race (54 inches max top), Helicopters (54 inches max top), and a brand new appeal known as the Air Display. Those video games might be open each days till 9 pm The Jungle Twist, Carousel, Dizzy Dragon, SuperSlide and Lolli Swings might be open each days till 11 pm
Carnival Artwork Gallery will show art work and three-D paintings that you’ll view and buy on the Cooke Finding out Commons. The gallery will be offering items created via native artists; Proceeds are break up between the performer and the carnival fundraiser. There used to be a jewellery retailer on-line, but it surely closed on January 18.
Be expecting an enormous thrift sale that includes clothes, toys, books, song, and a lot more. Pieces are gathered all over the 12 months via volunteers and the proceeds fortify the college’s monetary assist program. Our non-public favourite segment is devoted to books and has its personal separate front and gives all kinds of genres and offers!
silent public sale
This 12 months’s silent public sale is again on-line and available to the general public. Public sale starts Wednesday, February 1 at midday and closes on Saturday, February 4 at 4 pm Registration might be required right here for on-line bidding. There is a excellent number of pieces and reports on the market, together with display tickets, spa therapies, jewellery, and extra. Decided on pieces might be displayed within the Kirsch Gallery all over the carnival and there might be volunteers that will help you bid on-line if you want assist.
Bread: The Selection Display
The senior elegance places on a efficiency annually for the carnival: they’re considering the whole lot from writing to graphic design, costumes, set development, and degree control. This 12 months, Bread: The Selection Display contains student-choreographed dance numbers and student-written song. Be expecting loaf puns and purchase tickets early for the 45-minute display, as seats promote out rapid. Tickets are priced at $20. Hours are from 1:00 p.m. to five:00 p.m. each days. Purchasing tickets for selection displays right here.
Video games to play on the Punahou Carnival 2023
Keiki and adults of every age can experience many amusing video games, together with:
- air ball
- bean bag
- fish snap
- Frogs within the lily pond
- grasp bag
- youngsters’s basketball
- menehune robust guy
- Mini golfing
- pukka horseshoe
- ring toss
- sand pile
- splash entice
- tic tac toe
- Wheel of Fortune
What to consume on the Punahou Carnival 2023
Do you know that the Punahou Carnival sells about 140,000 malassadas annually? Those fried items of doughy goodness are rolled in over 5,000 kilos of (donated) sugar. There are all the time lengthy strains, so this 12 months there might be two malassada stands to control the call for. There can also be some other burger stand, so there might be a variety of meals to be had. Here is what’s at the menu:
- hawaiian dish
- Ice cream
- Portuguese Bean Soup
- Goodies and Treats (a brand new sales space promoting popcorn, cotton sweet, and sweet)
- Tacos and Nachos Salad
Here is what’s at the agenda of reside performances via native bands and musicians:
Friday, February 3
Midday to at least one pm: Kailua Moon Band
1:00 p.m. to two:00 p.m.: imu jam
2:00 p.m. to three:00 p.m.: Kanikapila ’73
3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.: barefoot youngsters
4 to five p.m.: Rocky’s Highlanders
5 to six p.m.: Rockpoint
6 to 7 p.m.: I Ku Mau Mau
7 to eight p.m.: Manoah DNA
8 to 9 p.m.: Kai Duhaylonsod
9 to ten p.m.: UV (Nicholas Lockwood)
10 to 11 a.m.: 02′ Jamman
Saturday, February 4
Midday to at least one pm: Punahou Alumni Glee Membership
1:00 p.m. to two:00 p.m.: shawn conley
2 vs 3 pm: The Kalahiki Artwork Band
3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.: the band tantalus
4 to five p.m.: The Hanahau’oli BusBoyz
5 to six p.m.: Ke’Olu
6 to 7 p.m.: Isabella Kala’i
7 to eight p.m.: kapono-wong
8 to 9 p.m.: College of O’ahu JAZZ Band
9 to ten p.m.: O’ahu School Band
10 to 11 a.m.: jenny yim
Guidelines for Taking part in Your Punahou Carnival Revel in
- Come early for the jam and jellies as they promote out rapid.
- For households on a good price range, there are many offers, particularly at the White Elephant marquee.
- If the principle carnival house is simply too crowded, forestall via the Hawaiian Plate house at Dole Corridor, mauka of Rice Box car parking zone. It is a enjoyable getaway from the principle carnival house, with nice Hawaiian meals and a spot to sit down and experience a lot of reside song acts.
- Put on comfy footwear and believe bringing a gentle jacket and an umbrella in case of rain.
For more info talk over with punahou.edu/news-and-events/carnival.