HARTFORD, Conn. — Importing tales/textual content
- E-mail [email protected] for the hyperlink
- Come with names of all scholars and pronunciations.
- The internet replica will have to be written in PA-style and comprise quotes, attribution for audio system. “The withdrawal covers 20,000 lbs. of meat,” mentioned Jim Smith, an inspector with the Division of Agriculture.
- Use complete names, Susan Jones, no longer Mrs. Jones.
- Internet replica will have to be no less than 100 phrases, however 250+ phrases is perfect.
- Come with hyperlinks to corporations, colleges, methods if related.
Agenda for the 12 months (provisional)
- Instructor Workshops – College of New Haven – September 29 / College of Hartford – October 4
- Get started of shipments: September
- PSA Workshops for Fall Scholars: Fri. Nov, 10a-12p on the College of Hartford Sat. November 5, 10a-12p on the College of New Haven
- Legitimate FOX61 Scholar Information Unencumber: December 2
- FOX61 Scholar Information Lab – Wednesday, March 29, 2023
- Cut-off date for submissions for award attention: Monday, Would possibly 1, 2023
- Announcement of the nominees: Friday, Would possibly 19, 2023
- Awards Display – Wednesday June 7, 2023
Award classes for 2022-23
CATEGORY: FEATURES PRIZE = $2,500
Awarded for the most productive document
Outlined as an informative tale and will also be extra detailed “comfortable information” or human passion tales new/unique/private views/angles tutorial or entertaining and permits for various writing kinds arouses feelings undying permits for private observations, reports, tales and anecdotes want extra footage/pictures
Climate: will also be chronological constructions, additionally non-linear
Information: “a story glance”
Taste: private, descriptive, colourful, literary, emotional, funny the whole thing this is No onerous information or editorial or opinion
CATEGORY: HARD NEWS PRIZE = $2,500
Given to the most productive onerous information
Outlined as: present tale, well timed, information data brief and concise resources: interviews, press releases, reviews, paperwork for background data, emphasis on professional resources (details, figures, statements from influential other folks, and many others.) “order of significance” no chronological
Information: a very powerful truth
Journalist: invisible, outsider, reviews what folks do
Taste: purpose reviews “of truth”
CATEGORY: COMMUNITY NEWS = $2,500
Dropped at the most productive information locally.
tales that seize electorate’ priorities, considerations, and views on other problems with significance to many alternative communities
BIG Y GROWN LOCALLY AWARD – (SPONSORED BY BIG Y) – $2,000
Awarded to the most productive pupil information reporting on native companies. Tales will also be about native farmers, artisans, vintage sellers, eating places, regional specialties, and different purveyors of produce, with pieces made in the community and bought on a smaller scale.
Native companies are owned and operated via your neighbors. They care about and are dedicated to the well-being of our group and its long run. Native companies give a boost to your circle of relatives’s well being and the native economic system. Native companies supply a extra personalised carrier and also you get to understand the folks in the back of the product; and offers our communities their “taste” or strong point.
CHESLA EDUCATION AWARD- (SPONSORED BY CHESLA) – $1,000
Dropped at the most productive pupil information reporting on schooling.
Schooling is outlined as the method of obtaining wisdom (receiving and giving systematic instruction), talents, values, ideals and conduct, and academic, instructing, coaching and analysis strategies. Schooling is a steady procedure that produces certain adjustments in human lifestyles and behaviour.
Awarded to the most productive pupil tale reporting at the arts in Connecticut and careers within the arts business. Examples of artwork, however no longer restricted to:
- Structure and Commercial Design
- Ceramic and Glass
- Comedian and anime artwork
- Virtual artwork
- Drawing and Representation
- editorial cool animated film
- Expanded initiatives
- Movie and Animation
- Blended method
- Sport Software Building
- Acting Arts
- Scholars cannot use copyrighted track of their tales with out the permission of the unique artist. Scholars who download copyright to the track should comprise artist documentation and put up it with their access shape.
NOT JUST A GAME AWARD – (SPONSORED BY THE CT COUNCIL ON PROBLEM GAMBLING) – $2,500
Awarded to the highest information pupil who reviews on one of the crucial following gaming-related subjects: attainable chance components for creating a playing drawback, akin to accessibility and social acceptance, teaching the general public concerning the caution indicators of an issue creating specifically for adolescence, how conversations with adolescence about dependancy have historically been about alcohol, tobacco/vaping, and different medicine and infrequently come with discussions of playing and playing as a concurrent drawback, laws accountable gaming insurance policies and efforts in our state to give protection to customers, or interviews with individuals who have skilled drawback playing to percentage tales of restoration.
ACES AWARD FOR DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION – (SPONSORED BY ACES) – $1,500
Given to the most productive pupil information that –
- It specializes in other folks from various backgrounds, cultures, viewpoints, and reports.
- Reviews on contributions that advertise admire, construct group, determine cross-cultural projects, and suggest for fairness and inclusion inside the group.
- Promotes student- and/or school-focused efforts that admire variations in gender, race, ethnicity, highbrow and bodily talents, and life.
- It represents a spread of identities and reports that exist on the earth.
- Reviews on cultural occasions and celebrations in our state and all through the rustic.
SPORTS AWARD – (SPONSORED BY THE HARTFORD WOLFPACK FOUNDATION) – $2,000
Dropped at the most productive pupil information reporting on sports activities and gaming.
Tales a couple of wearing match, particular person athlete, trainer or workforce
The game-related theme serves because the dominant theme.
Just right sportsmanship (honest and beneficiant habits or remedy of others, particularly in sports activities festival; admire, teamwork, persona)
Please no featured reels
WHY 21 AWARD (SPONSORED BY WHEELER CT CLEARING HOUSE AND THE CT DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTION SERVICES) – $2,500
Awarded to the most productive pupil information merchandise reporting on smoking prevention and those connected subjects:
Connecticut and federal rules state that tobacco and e-cigarette (e-cigarette) outlets would possibly not promote cigarettes, tobacco merchandise, and e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise to any person below the age of 21.
Why 21? Individuals who use e-cigarettes and vapor merchandise are liable to acute and protracted bodily and psychological diseases, together with nicotine dependancy. They’re additionally liable to imaginable migration to the usage of cigarettes or different tobacco merchandise, which could have severe well being penalties.
Details about the bodily and psychological well being dangers related to tobacco and e-cigarette use should be factual.
All segments should point out:
- state rules that keep an eye on the sale of tobacco and e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise.
- Age restrictions on promoting and purchasing tobacco and e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise and why they exist.
- Movements outlets should take to conform to state and federal rules.
- Knowledge at the above 3 necessities will also be discovered beneath: Public Act No. 19-13 · Invoice No. 5506
- Reviews might show pictures of cigarettes, tobacco merchandise, and e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise. They can not show pictures/movies of other folks the usage of cigarettes, tobacco merchandise, and e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise.
- Vaping segments would possibly not come with hashish vaping.
Phase Concepts/Inquiries to Imagine/Concept Starters
- What’s the historical past of tobacco and e-cigarette/vapor product use in Connecticut and the way has it developed?
- What does it imply to be a accountable store? Who’re the accountable outlets statewide and what methods do they use to forestall the sale of cigarettes, tobacco merchandise, and e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise to minors?
- What’s nicotine? What are the uncomfortable side effects of nicotine to your bodily and emotional well being?
- What’s dependancy? How is nicotine addictive? Why is nicotine regarded as a “gateway drug”?
- How do the lungs paintings/what do they do within the frame? How can smoking or vaping injury the lungs?
- What’s EVALI? (E-cigarette vaping-associated lung damage)
- Why would other folks select to not use cigarettes, tobacco merchandise, or e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise?
- What’s one of the best ways to forestall nicotine dependancy?
- What smoking cessation assets are to be had to scholars?
- What human passion tales are there about accountable retailing, quitting smoking or vaping, or getting better from nicotine dependancy?
- What’s the Nice American Smokeout? (Date: 11/17/22)
- What’s Nationwide Prevention Week (Dates: 5/7-12/23) and the way does it deal with cigarettes, tobacco merchandise, or e-cigarettes/vapor merchandise?
Useful Sources for Interviews
- reality initiative
- Marketing campaign for Tobacco Unfastened Youngsters
- Folks towards vaping
- Connecticut state legislators
- CT Division of Psychological Well being and Dependancy Products and services (DMHAS) Tobacco Prevention and Enforcement Program
- CT Division of Public Well being Tobacco Keep watch over Program § Touch: Allison Sullivan at [email protected]
- Connecticut Clearinghouse
- CT Regional Behavioral Well being Motion Organizations (RBHAOs)
- Yale Faculty of Drugs Facilities for Tobacco Regulatory Science Touch: Tricia Dahl at [email protected]
- Southern CT State College Wellness Heart Tobacco Program Coordinator: Victoria Adams at [email protected]
- Southington STEPS touch: Megan Albanese at [email protected]
- American Lung Affiliation Connecticut Touch: Ruth Canovi at [email protected]
Native Group Sources
- Accountable tobacco and e-cigarette/vapor product outlets on your town(s)
- Your town well being division
- Your college nurses
- Docs on your town